I'm posting this a little late today. I've had a little bit of a trying day. As most single moms will tell you, we rely on child support and alimony to take care of us and our children. We may work full-time jobs ourselves, but in today's economy you have to have a second source of income. Unfortunately, a lot of us have to deal with immaturity, self-centeredness, and all around incompetence. How do you feed, clothe, and put a roof over the heads of your children when the money isn't there? Why can't these men figure out that since they contributed to the creation of said children that they also have a responsibility to said children? This goes for the single dads out there dealing with this same issue with their ex-wives.
I know God is my ultimate provider and that as long as I believe in Him and follow His commands for my life that he will make sure our needs are met. I have no doubt that God has chosen a good man for me and my children, someone who will be faithful, loving, and has the ability to provide for our needs. Don't get me wrong. I am, and always have been, very independent.. I have never needed a man to take care of me or meet my needs. However, it's nice to have someone in your life who would be willing to do that for you.
But today, not surprisingly, I had to fight to get the money that was court ordered. As per the order, I receive child support through the state based on his pay from his regular job. On top of that we agreed on an amount that he would pay in excess, based on his disability income, in order to meet the children's needs. Then there is the alimony. As far as the excess and alimony, it was agreed that he would set up an automatic draft to be sent straight from his bank to mine on the first of every month. Well, the last two months that didn't happen. Once again I had to call him and remind him of his obligation to the children. I don't want to hear about how he over-drafted his account the month before. I don't want to hear about how he was tired of not being able to go out and party with his buddies or eat out at a restaurant. Unlike my ex-husband, I don't live at home with my mother. Unlike my ex-husband, I have rent, utilities, and three other mouths to feed. I don't have the luxury of pre-ordering video games and movies whenever I want, instead of putting food on the table. I don't date or go out with my friends usually because my first priority is taking care of my children. If I didn't want the responsibility of having children I would have never become pregnant.
I would love to go out on a date, take in a movie, or meet friends for dinner at a restaurant. I would also love to take my children to a movie every once in a while, treat them to a meal at a favorite restaurant, or afford to have their friends over for fun, food, and games every once in awhile. I would love to be able to save up enough money to take my children on a nice vacation, especially now that my daughter works for the greatest vacation destination of all time. But, for now I live paycheck-to-paycheck just to meet their needs. All I ask is that he cares enough about these children to want to meet their needs. Is that too much to ask? I think not!
No comments:
Post a Comment