Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 17, 2013 (Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back to School They Go?)

So, it's Saturday night and after checking the mail I realized that Monday is going to be a very stressful day in my household. I have not received a single piece of mail from either the high school or the elementary school for my boys. We missed the orientations and have no clue where to even begin come Monday. It wasn't for lack of trying, though. I left a number of messages with my oldest son's counselor to discuss his schedule and what classes he needed to take. I never received a call back.

My oldest is brilliant beyond reason. In other words, he's too smart for his own good. Because he didn't feel that he should be made to do homework, he failed...almost everything! Needless to say, it was off to summer school we went. He completed Algebra in the summer school program at his school and was supposed to complete Biology and English at Florida Virtual, but we never heard back from the teacher and he wasn't able to start the class. Since he wasn't able to complete these courses before school started, we have no idea what grade he is in this year. So, Monday morning we will have to find out what grade he is in, then find out what his schedule is. This is a child that does not do well with stressful situations. He never has. Going to the orientation nights is what gets him through his first day of school, since it gives him a chance to get familiar with where his classes are and an idea of the time it will take for him to get to each class. This will not be the case come Monday.

My youngest child is transferring to a new school, since we moved. Again, we had no idea about orientation night. It would have been nice to have that time to get familiar with the school, since it's one we have never been in. We have no idea who his teacher is or where in the school she is located. So, I will have to take him to his first day of school in order to meet his new teacher and get some clue as to where everything is. Have I mentioned how much I do not like starting the school year off stressed?!

No comments:

Post a Comment