When you have kids there are things that you think about all the time. Are they safe? Are they healthy? Are they happy? What does their future hold? Those questions consume your life when you're a parent. But what do you do when the question is "how do I tell my children I'm dating?"
This is the issue I am currently facing. I want to get out and date finally. Tonight I went for drinks with a friend. My daughter, who is 18, came to me and told me that I was "too old" to be dating. What is that??? How am I "too old?" I'm barely in my 40s. I don't see that as "too old." They don't understand that it's hard for me to just be alone. They can't understand that I just need some adult interaction. They can't understand that my friends aren't enough. I want to feel special again. I want to feel beautiful and alive. My friends can say all the right things to make me feel good about myself, but sometimes I just need to hear those things from someone who doesn't feel obligated to say them.
So yes, I am dating now. I am very careful about it. I know the rules of dating and protecting myself and my children. I won't meet anyone at my home or invite anyone to my home. I don't go to their home. I meet in public places. I want to be safe because my children need me. But, I don't want to just sit at home alone. I need to get out. I need to feel good about myself again. I need to feel wanted.
Maybe one day they will understand. Until that time I try my best to keep my kids out of my dating life. It makes it difficult when they ask you where you're going and what you're doing and they don't buy that you are just going to meet a friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment