Today was the first day of school, and as predicted, it was a very stressful day. At least, it started out that way. It doesn't make for a good start to the day when you have no idea where you are going or what you are going to do.
I took my oldest boy to school first. Since he had to take summer school and I had not yet heard back from his counselor, the first question that had to be answered was what grade? Thankfully, and because he is so very smart, he had brought over credits from middle school that gave him what he needed to pass. He is officially a 10th grader. It's a good thing too. It would have been awkward if he hadn't since he received the 2013 Scholar Award for the state of Florida for the highest grade on the FCAT for reading, in the entire state.
So, the next thing we needed to know was about his schedule. As I said previously, I had been trying to contact his counselor for two weeks to work out his schedule for the school year. So, when we received the schedule we were a little surprised. Three out of the seven classes were wrong. Two of the classes he was already enrolled in virtually. The other was a class he would have never picked. Since when do counselors choose what classes you're going to take? I'm not thrilled with people who have their own agenda and think it's OK to pass them on to you. Since it was the first day of school and the morning had just begun, we had to wait until 3rd period before seeing someone about getting it changed.
My next stop was my youngest boy's school. Again, we had no idea who his teacher was supposed to be or even where to find his classroom. We had never been to the school before and missed orientation since I hadn't received anything prior to the first day of school. We found out who his teacher was, but had to wait until it was closer to time for school to start to get the paperwork I needed to fill out and meet the new teacher. Thankfully, he had a wonderful first day of school. He loves his teacher and he seems very interested in what he has to learn this year.
Now, back to the high school I go. He signed in to see a counselor and we sat to wait. His 9th grade counselor came out to talk to us after she noticed we had been sitting for a while and no one came out to help. His counselor called a student back who had signed in after us. That was our first clue that we were being ignored. His old counselor asked us to come back to her office and she would help. I am so thankful for her because I don't believe we would have accomplished anything if we had to see his counselor. Needless to say, it's in the works to get his counselor changed. She was also my daughter's counselor and that was the roughest four years. I tried to get her changed too, but because I was still going through cancer treatments and was still very sick I just didn't have the fight I wish I had. I'm not going through that again, and I'm not putting my son through it. I regret that I had to put my daughter through it.
So, by the end of the day, all was well, so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment