Tuesday, September 10, 2013

August 30, 2013 (Niceville High School 50th Anniversary)

Tonight was the celebration of 50 years of Niceville High School. It has been 25 years since I had this much fun at a football game. The walk down memory lane brought laughter and tears. I am so proud to call myself an alumnus of Niceville High School.

The evening started with a walk down memory lane in what is now the cafeteria. Yearbooks were on display for the last 50 years. The first books I went in search for were 1988 and 1989. Since I don't actually own the yearbook for 1988 it was nice to be able to thumb through that year. A very dear friend of mine passed away just days before she was to graduate. It brought tears to my eyes when I came across her picture. I miss her so very much. We called her SLY (Stephanie Lyn York). A few years after she passed away I named my baby girl after her. I also found another very dear friend of mine who passed away in a car accident a number of years ago. I became so nostalgic for the 80s during that short walk. I then proceeded to the 90s where I found my baby brother's photos for his 9th and 10th grade years. I can't believe how little he has changed. Last, I headed to the new millennial table where my daughter's graduating year was located. It seems weird that I have a daughter who is also amongst the alumni at NHS.

After my walk down memory lane I proceeded out to the stadium where I was able to buy the 50 year celebration T-shirt. My daughter also has this same shirt. I quickly changed and returned to the stadium to get ready for the parade of classes. We were arranged by decades. Of course, I followed behind the sign for the 80s. My graduating class was the last of that decade. It was fun to walk the length of the stadium, regardless of our advanced years. Even us old people were able to walk the entire length of the field. Getting to spend this time with a couple of good friends made this night especially grand. I didn't get to spend any of this time with my daughter as she was in Color Guard, so she was hanging out with the band alumni all night. My son is not yet alumni, so he got to spend the evening with his little brother, who is still in elementary school.

Since this was a high school football game as well, I must report that we won the game, 62 to 21. Those boys played a very good game that night. I would like to see this team take State Champs again, since the only time this was ever accomplished was the 25th anniversary of the school by my graduating class. We were such over achievers.

No comments:

Post a Comment