Monday, September 16, 2013

September 6, 2013 (Why I Should Have Been A Teacher)

Have you ever wondered what your life would be like if you had followed your heart? I have had many interests in my life, from accountant to writer. But there is one passion that has stayed with me throughout the years. I have always had a passion for teaching. This passion goes as far back as the first grade. I was always advanced beyond my years, therefore I was bored a lot in school. Don't get me wrong. I loved school, I was just bored. They were teaching things I already knew how to do. In order to prevent me from holding the other children back my teacher had a brilliant idea. She decided to have me tutor the other students who weren't quite getting it. From that time on I tutored, from Kindergarten age up to whatever grade I happened to be in that year. The greatest pleasure I have ever received was seeing the light bulb come on. There's a kind of satisfaction in knowing that you were able to help someone crack the code. You see, everyone's brain is wired differently. In order to help someone learn you have to have two very important elements. The first is they have to want to learn. The second is the clue to unlocking the part of their brain that allows them to learn. Once you have both of these things, anyone can learn.

I never quit teaching, in one way or another. I never became a teacher because I allowed other things in my life to stand in the way, much like I have done everything I have ever wanted to do. Even I had something to learn...freedom, of my mind and of the bonds that have held me back all my years. I had always allowed everyone else to influence my life, my goals, and my happiness. I never pursued my own passions. Since I never became a teacher, I became a tutor. I love what I do, even if it is only part-time. I get to spend time with adults and children, helping them to learn the things in life that they may not have learned otherwise. I found that I have a knack for unlocking the parts of the brain that help them to understand what I am trying to teach them. I don't necessarily know that what I do can be taught. It's something I was born with and the schools I attended took advantage of. Every school I attended that learned I had tutored at my last school found a way to use me. Since there were subjects that I had a very firm grasp on, those were the times I got to go to the other classrooms and tutor. If I wasn't tutoring during those times I was grading papers. They were always looking for a way to keep me busy, since I did get bored quite easily. I don't know exactly how many children I have helped throughout the years. I don't know any names or where any of these people are today. All I can hope is that at some point in history I was able to make enough of an impact on their lives that they were able to become a success. I really do wish I knew what had happened to the ones I had helped along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment