Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 5, 2013 (Go Home GPS...You're Drunk!)

Tonight was a very special night. My friend Tina took me and her sister, Ronda, to see Kevin James at the Saenger Theater. As always, when you get the three of us together for any length of time there is going to be extreme laughter. The car ride over was quick and easy. Since it was still light out, you could see more than just a black blur of trees. Since we were leaving immediately after Ronda and I got off work, we had to run through a drive-thru for dinner. I figured chicken nuggets (although not the healthiest choice) would be the right choice for me since I was driving. WRONG! All it took was one wrong move to dump the sauce off the tip of the box and onto the floor board. Fortunately, the sauce never turned over and I managed NOT to make a mess.

Upon arriving at the theater I had already resolved to pay to park. I do believe $5 for parking is much better than $50 to rescue your car from the tow truck! I was lucky. The space directly behind the theater was almost completely empty - the benefit to arriving almost an hour early. Once we were inside one of the hosts came over to talk to Tina. We were ushered to the door to stand at the front of the line. I'm sure you can imagine the looks we were getting from the other people standing around waiting. To add to the chitter-chatter, once the doors opened we were escorted in and to our seats before anyone else was allowed in. I must mention that Tina uses a walker due to MS. We arrived at our seats in the handicap section of the theater. The doors were then opened and everyone else was allowed to enter. Again, there were looks and chatter as people noticed us sitting in plush, moveable chairs in a section all to ourselves. There were just three of us sitting in a section made to accommodate at least eight people. But, since we were the first ones in we got to witness everyone else walk in. Once again, laughter ensued. It's fun to sit back and witness how people dress, walk, and act.

Now onto the show. The first up was a good friend of Kevin James'...Richie Minervini. He was hilarious! I always love to hear comedians talk about their families. It lets the rest of us know that we are not alone, especially when it comes to raising teenagers. I think the funniest part of his act was talking about his kids and technology, since I have the same issues with my kids. By the time Kevin James came on stage everyone was already sore from laughter. He gave an awesome performance. We laughed so hard my sides hurt. Since Tina has MS and uses a walker, the best part of the show for us was when he started talking about people with walkers. We laughed so hard as everything he said was so true. Since Tina's walker has wheels, we decided that instead of the typical tennis balls, we needed to get her a few soccer balls for her walker. Stylish, no?

The laughter didn't stop there. Since historic Pensacola is difficult enough to maneuver during the day, we decided to use the GPS to get back to interstate. This poor gal was so confused. I knew which way I wanted to turn, but decided to follow her moves instead, which took us in the opposite direction. After a couple of turns, we were facing the exact direction I wanted to head in the first place. When we finally made it to interstate Tina decided to turn the GPS off. We all felt as if we were in a Jarrod's commercial when the crazy thing not only kept telling us where to go, but refused to turn off. Ten minutes later there was finally silence. I guess we made her mad enough to shut her up! Personally, I think she had too much to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment